17.11.10

KILIM DIY



I bought this Junior Drake bag off Ebay a few months ago (it was super cheap because the leather was rather ragged in spots) but upon arrival I wasn't really in love with it (photos above are from a current Ebay listing for the same style bag).
Well, all that has now changed ! . . . . Some time last year I thrifted a coat that had a horrible fit (big and boxy) but was made of insanely beautiful "kilim" style woven Turkish rug material. I bought it because I knew I wanted to make pillows with it (which i did and will post photos of soon) and I ended up with extra material leftover.

I cut and sewed pieces to the "blankish" spots on the bag and then dyed the leather bag a rich dark brown with Angelus brand leather dye (amazing products). The bag didn't have its original strap when i bought it so i used another bag's strap and dyed it to match. . . I then sewed a little fur sleeve to fit over the strap for comfort.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yeah! Well conceived and with a kickass execution! Upgrades the bag about a zillion percent....soooo cute now....

November 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
Anonymous reid.damnit said...

wow-ness, looks amazing!

November 17, 2010 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger mydearthing. said...

A+

November 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Let's Bolt said...

are you kidding me? so beautiful.

November 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beyond cool!

November 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Miss M said...

impressive diy skills, excellent work!

Miss M

November 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Good project Molly - love the outcome!

November 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Arlie said...

I am impressed by you lady!!!

November 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One of the most impressive diy's I've ever seen. How much would you charge for one of these??

November 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that bag is incredible! I thought you purchased it! Wow

November 18, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Anonymous jelizarose said...

very very nice !

November 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger STOP IT RIGHT NOW said...

so resourceful lady! well done. and where the heck are you?? I'm jealous when people's surroundings look like this. I'd have to drive three hours and go up a hill and through a valley to get anywhere like this.

November 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger CHRISTERIC said...

jeeesus amazing job on that bag i love it!

November 18, 2010 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger emery ruth said...

This is remarkable! I shared it with my readers at refindrebel.com

November 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger tarantulatrash said...

Wow, I'm really impressed! This is just gorgeous x

November 20, 2010 at 5:43 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Looks so cool, love the fur strap. M X

November 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Sherrie Cola said...

I want it!! Do one to sell?

November 21, 2010 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Mia M. said...

OMG a perfect bag!!!

bisous,
mia

November 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM  
Anonymous miss scarlet said...

amazing diy...perfectly executed, respect!! do one to seel for real :)

miss scarlet
www.cluecult.com

November 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger mtg said...

This is unbelievable! I'm speechless. Wow!!!!

November 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger jessica summer said...

crafty and genius!!!

December 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM  
Anonymous ge said...

This is really nice, a great upgrade of a classic-looking bag. How did you sew the fabric? By hand? I always find it quite hard to sew through leather, are you using any specific needles?

July 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home